CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

IF WE ARE THE BODY WHY IS HIS LOVE NOT SHOWING THEM THERE IS A WAY?

The other day (Sunday) I was completely enjoying a day in the park with friends. I was helping a co-worker with a photo shoot of two kids I just adore! A woman came up to me in the park and asked if I had any money, if I could help her in anyway. I told her no that I didn’t have my purse on me. My purse was in the car…which…was not far away from me at all. I brushed it off and continued my nice day in the park with friends. I thought to myself she will probably use the money for drugs or booze. It wasn’t until later (much later, Tuesday actually) that this struck me and I wrestled with it tremendously. I lied to that woman. I could help her!

One time when I was a little girl (about age 10) there was a homeless man sitting by a store entrance in Columbus, Ohio. He was asking for handouts. I thought then to myself he probably wouldn’t use our money for the right cause. I then heard two teenage girls talking. One of the girls gave the man money and the other girl was fussing to her friend about giving the money to him. The girl that gave the money said… “Momma says that they could be angels in disguise.”

Think about that!

Did I just disappoint God by my reaction to this woman in the park? Even greater yet what if she wasn’t an angel? What if she was just an ordinary person that needed my help? I just passed up a chance to tend to the flock! I feel such a heavy burden lying on my shoulders. I feel such a deep disservice.

Why did I choose not to help her? I am surely not to good to tend to my Makers flock. Why didn’t I shove some money into her hand and pray with her? I know someone that can take care of all of her needs. I could have helped!

So this is what I did. I can’t change that I didn’t help that woman. I would have reacted differently if this would have went through my head sooner. Anyways, I prayed that God would tend to her, help her, and fulfill her longings. Then I prayed for me.

3 comments:

drifter's escape said...

hi sarah-
great minds think alike, i guess =)
i didn't know you had a blog either. i'll add you to my friends.
i'm trying to get into blogging more. i'm guilty of reading others and not writing my own.
i was going to write you about the women's group on tuesdays. i couldn't make it last night, but i will definitely be there next week. you have been going, right?
talk to you soon.

Jenn Ruggles said...

Please sarah don't beat yourself up over this. I have a huge heart for homeless people. That lady's name is Debbie and she makes her rounds in Chillicothe. There are several business that feed her lunch and dinner. She lives with her mom and has money coming in. She likes to buy cigs with the money she gets. So please don't feel bad about not helping her. I know how you feel though. We should help people when they are in need. And we can't know about everyone's background so we have to trust God to lead our thoughts and feelings when it comes to helping someone. I think that no matter how much compassion we have for someone God can always lead our hearts as to whether to help or not. And don't beat yourself up over telling her you didn't have your purse. Technically you didn't have it on you. Just don't stress about it.

I love that I am not the only one who feels the way you do. You have a great heart.

John Williams said...

Thank you for the reply... peace...i have a lot of thoughts about your post but not enough time.Read Matt 25:31-46, pray about it....JohnIV